
The original "cottage" that was built at the same time as the monument was erected. It is no longer here. The new 'visitors center' consists of two mirror image buildings that contain the office and the living quarters and the displays in the other. They were built in 1960.

Granite usually doesn't come in long sections like this. Junius Wells looked for some time before finding this one. It is considered one of the longest spires in the world.

This is what the road looked like back in 1905. After the rains brought by Irene some of them look much worse than this. The men in this picture are trying to stabilize the granite that is being brought to the site for making the monument.
No comments:
Post a Comment